Full Time Litigation Attorney
Opening for Litigation / Brand Protection Attorney (Fully Remote)
Focal PLLC, a twelve-attorney firm based in Seattle -- with a focus on technology, media, and internet law -- is seeking a litigation attorney to support our dispute and litigation practice, as well as grow with our brand protection practice. We are a NAMWOLF member firm and proud of our emphasis on diversity.
We are looking for someone with around 3-5 years of experience. While we are fully remote, we are looking for someone who is admitted in Washington and who can make court appearances as necessary. Admissions in other states are a plus but not required. We handle a range of dispute and litigation matters, including commercial disputes, data scraping/aggregation matters, platform liability, copyright and trademark disputes (including in front of the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board), corporate divorces, cannabis disputes, and arbitrations. We also handle a range of brand protection matters, including sending takedown requests, domain name arbitrations, online investigations, and litigation. Our lawyers typically bill between 800-1200 hours per year (as opposed to the typical 1700+ that is required at most firms).
Our ideal candidate is willing to learn and to build their skills with us. We often work on novel and interesting legal issues and are looking for someone who thrives on tackling those in a collaborative manner. Additional skills/experience:
• Strong writing and editing skills are key.
• Experience with trademark and copyright disputes, including issuing and responding to takedowns online and cease and desist letters, is a plus, but not required.
• Experience in both federal and state courts is preferred but not required.
• We work in a distributed environment so you need to be comfortable working in this setting and maintaining excellent communications with team members (e.g., using Google Docs, Slack, and receiving projects via email, conference calls, etc.).
• Proficiency in using online tools and basic technology competence (e.g., converting documents from Google Docs to Word, redacting and Bates numbering PDFs, formatting pleadings, etc.) is important. We have support staff, but our lawyers should be able to take care of the basics in this regard, if necessary. In a pinch, you should be able to format and file your own documents.
• A collaborative, team-focused spirit and desire to provide high-quality legal services with empathy for both the clients and colleagues.
• We place a high premium on diversity. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.
• Introverts are encouraged to apply.
We are proud that Focal fosters a collaborative work environment with legal professionals who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Salary range: Compensation will depend on hours, as Focal pays a fixed salary along with hourly-based payments (based on hours worked for the month). The salary range for this position is $80,000 to $120,000 (assuming 1000 hours billed).
Benefits: We provide our employees with health insurance, pay your bar dues, and offer an opportunity to participate in our individual retirement plan (with matching up to a certain amount) and flexible PTO.
If interested, email (1) a resume (2) cover letter; and (3) writing sample that you primarily authored to email@example.com.
Focal is a minority-owned business. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as defined by federal, state or local law. We have a great team and consider ourselves a lifestyle firm in that we try not to work ourselves to death while at the same time handling sophisticated and interesting work.