Based in Greater Seattle
PROTEC17 is seeking an enthusiastic, creative, and committed union representative. Our representatives are high-level professionals who provide a broad scope of advocacy for members including contract negotiation and enforcement, legal advocacy, organizing, political engagement, member mobilization and support. Candidates will be expected to have experience and applicable skills in these areas, or an ability to rapidly become proficient.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to workers' rights and experience in labor contract negotiations and administration. Formal legal training and language skills would be very helpful in the position.
Candidates are also expected to show the following:
ABILITIES AND COMMITMENTS
- Commitment to advancing racial equity, which the organization set as a core priority in its 2020-2022 strategic plan.
- Willingness to implement plans to train leaders and members to be mobilizers and advocates for their co-workers.
- Passion to devote time to recruiting and developing member-leaders to build our union.
- Drive to create systemic change, while being capable of handling unending emails and phone calls with questions from the mundane to extremely complex.
- Creativity to address problems and challenges
- Collaborative approach to working within a dynamic team environment, while being comfortable working independently.
- Flexibility to meet constantly changing job requirements
- Commitment to hours and days of work as necessary to meet member interests, including when needed long days, occasional evenings and some weekends.
- Be a consensus-building leader while having a high level of sensitivity to the diverse interests of union members.
- Read, analyze, and interpret general contract language, collective bargaining agreements, professional publications, technical procedures, governmental regulations, policies, and laws.
- Write professional member communications, grievances, ULPs, and other reports and correspondence.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from diverse groups of union members, employer representatives, elected officials, and organizational partners.
- Speak, and train members to speak, persuasively in advocacy forums including negotiations, union meetings, Council meetings and other public engagements.
- Critical thinking with strong advocacy skills in order to research, prepare and present grievances, arbitrations, conduct contract negotiations and find resolutions to a broad scope of workplace issues.
- Analyze and resolve complex problems
- Define parameters of problems, collect information, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Plan work to accomplish long term, complex goals and daily immediate tasks.
- Proficiency using internet, spreadsheets, database, and word processing software such as those in the Microsoft Office suite.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Maintain valid driver’s license, reliable automobile, and minimum auto insurance coverage.
Must be capable of working independently and remotely, including having access to internet and cell phone. Physical demands of the job may include sitting, standing, walking, carrying objects and sometimes many or heavy files. The employee may occasionally work in outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
PROTEC17 is a nonprofit labor organization that represents more than 9,000 professional, technical, managerial and administrative public employees who serve the people of Washington and Oregon. We work tirelessly with members, employers and community allies to fulfill our mission: PROTEC17 is a member-powered union, inspiring action, advancing equity, and building community.
Highly competitive compensation package that reflects the high level of professionalism expected of our Union Representatives, including employer-paid medical/dental; auto allowance; substantial annual, sick and holiday leave; and a generous employer-funded retirement plan. PROTEC17’s culture and organization allow us to meet members’ interests while also maintaining a good work-life balance. PROTEC17 members are fantastic, community-oriented people and it’s a wonderful, collegial place to work.
To apply, please send resume, letter of interest and professional references to Paul Marvy at email@example.com. Applicants considered on a rolling basis until filled.