Who We Are:
SEIU 775 Benefits Group’s mission is to improve the skills, health and stability of the caregiver workforce through innovation and high-quality benefits and programs.
We partner with workers, employers and industry stakeholders to collectively solve workforce problems through innovation, creativity and an evidence-based approach. Together, we deliver high-quality benefits and services to support a growing caregiver workforce.
We are a nonprofit – passionate about revolutionizing the future of in-home care, and are looking for others to join our smart, collaborative and kind team.
Location: Headquartered in Downtown Seattle
Work Schedule: Our typical business hours are 8:30-5:00 Monday-Friday.
Travel Requirements: Up to 10%
Category: Full-Time, FLSA Exempt, Regular, Non-Union
Physical Requirements: Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of the day.
About the Position:
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the Staff Attorney will be responsible for contract matters and training. The Staff Attorney will also represent the Benefits Group in other areas of the law including governance and legal/regulatory compliance. The Staff Attorney will also work cooperatively with other members of the legal team to provide high quality and timely legal services to the Benefits Group clients.
Candidates must have J.D. degree from an accredited law school and be a member of the Washington State Bar in good standing. Three years of experience working as in-house counsel for a nonprofit organization is preferred; comparable in-house corporate and/or law firm experience will be considered. Candidates must also have excellent legal, verbal and written communication skills and maintain “approachability” as an advisor. In addition, the position will be responsible for keeping the general policies and procedures up to date with the law and best practice.
- Responsible for assisting and counseling staff in the process of evaluating, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts, documents and legal instruments;
- Assist in resolving routine legal issues or questions;
- Serve as the primary lawyer responsible for evaluating compliance of template and non-templated contracts;
- Thought partner on innovations around the Benefits Group contracting process;
- Conduct legal or other research, develop and write memoranda;
- Advise and update the Chief Legal Officer on guidance and trainings needed for staff;
- Work across departments to develop user friendly policies, guidance and templates as requested by the Chief Legal Officer;
- Coordinate and manage litigation and assist in the preparation of responses to inquiries from governmental entities and external parties;
- Provide and help prepare and coordinate relevant training for staff;
- Succinctly and competently provide effective solution-based legal advice taking into consideration legal risk and business objectives;
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
You Will Need to Have:
- Ability to work on broad cross section of issues and subjects and balance multiple projects at once;
- Positive attitude and demonstrate a spirit of cooperation, competence, initiative, respect and team-oriented ethic;
- Exhibit resourcefulness, self-confidence and sound decision-making with a solutions-driven mindset;
- Have a broad business perspective and thorough understanding of the impact legal recommendations will have on achieving the Organization’s goals;
- Ability to gain the confidence of the team and staff;
- Ability to work independently and proactively identify and prioritize needs;
- Ability to show discretion and protect confidential information;
- Possess strong work ethic and a high degree of integrity;
- Flexible, resilient; assumes risk with responsibility;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse population, to cultivate an inclusive, diverse and welcoming environment and to treat all people equitably in a culturally competent manner.
It Will Be Great if You Have:
- Knowledge of contract and business law, privacy, data protection, ERISA, and non-profit law is a plus.
Statement of Affirmative Action
SEIU 775 Benefits Group is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.