Sr Corporate Counsel
Puget Sound Energy’s Legal Department is looking for Corporate Counsel to join our team.
We are seeking an in-house attorney with three to six years of law firm experience to help us navigate a multitude of ongoing projects including, but not limited to the following:
· Project siting and permitting
· Land use litigation
· Municipal disputes
· Assisting on regulatory issues
The ideal candidate will have experience in land-use, environmental administrative and municipal law. In order to be successful, the chosen candidate must possess strong analytical and negotiation skills. While not required, any experience in the utility, energy industry or regulated industry experience is a plus.
Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy started in 1886. Today we’re building the Northwest’s energy future through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs and our leadership in renewable energy.
At PSE all employees are valued, respected and provided with the opportunity to excel professionally. We offer an expansive pay package that includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive bonuses, comprehensive cafeteria-style benefits, 401(K), a company paid retirement pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.
· Assists with administrative and legal matters of the corporation and the legal department.
· Manages outside counsel retained to support company on transactional matters, litigation, and other areas of legal support.
· Assesses, mitigates, and counsels company concerning legal issues of the company, and advises management and other company personnel on legal and strategic matters.
· Represents company in a range of legal matters relating to utility business, including negotiations, complex projects, transactions, and commercial matters, including dealings with regulatory agencies, governmental entities, and commercial counterparties.
· Effectively mediates conflict inside and outside the company.
· Handles matters efficiently and appropriately.
· Participates in and influences the decision-making process with appropriate clients and stakeholders.
· Independently handles, or supervises others who handle, complex legal matters or projects.
· Recognized as a legal expert in a broadly-defined subject matter area or for a specific geographic area.
· Monitors legal and related business trends, educates appropriate parties, and advocates adjustments in PSE’s policies and procedures.
· Assesses legal risks and opportunities, establishes and advocates plans to minimize risks and capitalize on opportunities in a defined area.
· Coordinates efforts with internal and/or external legal and business experts when appropriate.
· Advocates PSE’s interests to internal and external audiences in a variety of legal and business matters.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Juris Doctorate degree and 3 years of legal experience in a law firm or corporate legal department.
· Strong initiative plus excellent management, communication, teamwork, delegation, and problem-solving abilities.
· Demonstrated capacity to build relationships internally and externally; ability to establish rapport with business clients across the organization.
· Highly effective in written and verbal communication.
· Excellent advocacy and organization skills.
· Understanding of utility industry and applicable laws and regulations.
PSE is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage persons of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources Staffing department at email@example.com or 425-462-3017.