Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy
Smartsheet is looking for an accomplished Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy to join our collaborative legal team. We are looking for a motivated person with to lead the legal privacy team and advise us on a range of privacy and data governance tasks projects
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, we deliver a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes.
You will report to our VP of Legal located in our Bellevue, WA office.
- Work with important partners and direct internal privacy programs.
- Manage the legal privacy team (comprised of three other members).
- Maintain expertise in areas of privacy and data protection laws (including GDPR, ePrivacy Directive, and CCPA), regulatory guidance, and enforcement actions.
- Be an escalation point for negotiation, drafting, and review of privacy and data processing contract terms in customer and vendor contracts.
- Contribute to the improvement of standard forms of agreement, alternate language playbooks, and internal resource documents on contracts and other legal practice areas.
- Provide strategic and practical counsel to internal clients (such as compliance, product, marketing, sales, and people operations) on privacy and data governance principles and requirements.
- Manage the development of Smartsheet’s (and our affiliates') privacy and data-related policies.
- Provide general and role-specific privacy trainings.
- Work with members of the legal team in Bellevue, Boston, and London, including attorney and non-attorney personnel.
- Support general business operations and complete special projects.
- 7+ years of relevant experience (in-house experience preferred) with 3 years specializing in privacy and data protection matters
- Experience managing and supporting direct reports
- Experience leading and driving projects to completion.
- Expertise in negotiating contracts and working directly with sales and procurement.
- Disposition to uphold our business standards and risk tolerance and recommend practical solutions respecting such standards and tolerance
- Experience developing partnerships with other members of the legal team and members of other teams
- Team- and service-oriented mentality..
- J.D. from an accredited law school and an active member of the WA bar.
Perks & Benefits:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) Equity with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match to help you save for your future (50% of your contribution up to the first 6% of your eligible pay)
- Monthly stipend towards your commute to work
- 15 days PTO to start, plus Flexible Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to Audible for Business and LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account