At the Employment Security Department (ESD) we believe in the Power to Help when people need it most. We provide our communities with inclusive workforce solutions that promote economic resilience and prosperity. We help people find jobs, bridge gaps in employment and now provide paid family and medical leave.
We have a great opportunity for two (2) Review Judges to join the Commissioner’s Review Office team!
The Review Judge is essential in ESD’s mission to superior customer service to support workers and employers in times of unemployment. This position will issue the final agency decision in UI and tax matters.
As a delegate of the Commissioner, your decisions and ability to remain independent of influence in the cases you decide, is paramount to ensure that benefits are properly paid, and taxes are properly collected. Your primary responsibilities are to review Administrative Hearing records and transcripts and write formal agency legal opinions in UI benefit and tax cases.
If you’re ready to use your attention to detail to make a measurable difference in our customer’s lives, we encourage you to apply today!
Some of what you will do:
- Examine appeals to determine the basis for review.
- Review hearing records for irregularities in the proceedings; Identify substantive and procedural issues.
- Exercise statutory review authority over Office of Administrative Hearing’s unemployment insurance benefit and tax matters proceedings to determine conformity with statutory and decisional authority.
- Make legal determinations.
- Conduct legal research.
- Provide advice to executive management on unemployment insurance benefit and tax matters legal matters.
Active or ability to obtain (prior to appointment) judicial membership in the Washington State Bar Association.
Four (4) years of experience as one of the following:
- A hearings examiner in a governmental agency.
- A member of an administrative tribunal empowered to issue findings of fact and conclusions of law.
- Trial practice in private or public employment.
Please note: One year of any of the above experience must be in the field of law related to cases heard by the employing agency.
Education to Experience Equivalences:
Associate Degree = 2 years | Bachelor Degree = 4 years | Masters or Higher = 5 years
Additional Requirements of Employment:
- Once it is safe according to state and local ordinances, this position will involve occasional statewide travel.
- Internet service with speeds of 10mbps download and 2MB upload. To test your internet speed please go to www.speedtest.net.
- Must be able to pass an Unemployment Insurance (UI) Claim & Benefit Information Review.