Integrated Leave attorney
Integrated Leave Attorney 01-21
Costco Wholesale seeks an experienced attorney to join the Integrated Leave team at its headquarters in Issaquah, Washington. Costco is one of the world’s top retailers, with over 160,000 US employees and over 240,000 employees globally. The Attorney will join the Integrated Leave team to provide advice relating to leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), state leave laws, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and similar state laws, as well as Company Policy, with the objective of providing employee leaves and accommodations in a manner consistent with Company practices and values, and ensuring compliance with applicable law. The attorney also will provide advice relating to accommodation under the ADA and similar state laws, including clarification of work restrictions and compliance with interactive process requirements. The attorney will spend a significant amount of time working directly with members of the Integrated Leave team as well as vendors who assist in administering leaves and accommodations. The work will include preparation, review and/or revision of correspondence to employees and their health care providers. For such correspondence, the attorney will apply legal knowledge and expertise to utilize and further develop existing template language, while also exercising discretion and sound independent judgment to customize such letters, as appropriate. The attorney also will be expected to handle other leave and accommodation matters as assigned.
· Works with the Human Resources Department and management to advise regarding various issues involved with employee requests for FMLA state law and company leave, including review of medical certifications and drafting correspondence clarifying, approving and denying requests for leave.
· Work with Company vendors to review, revise, and advise regarding employee correspondence drafted by the vendor excusing intermittent absences as an accommodation under the ADA and similar state laws.
- Advise vendors regarding Company policies and business needs.
- Conduct audits of employee leaves and absences to determine leave eligibility and ensure proper tracking and compliance with the FMLA, state leave laws (including state and local paid sick time and state kin care laws), the ADA and similar state laws, and Company Policy. Advise Company regarding legal and practical issues and recommend corrective measures or new procedures if appropriate.
- Work with the Human Resources Department to advise regarding employee requests for leave extensions beyond exhaustion of the Company’s leave policy to ensure compliance with the ADA, similar state laws, and Company guidelines. Draft and/or review and revise related employee correspondence.
- Work with Human Resources Department to advise and prepare employee correspondence relating to complex leave and accommodation issues, clearly explaining leave determinations and rules, and ensuring compliance with the FMLA, state leave laws, the ADA and similar state laws, and Company Policy.
- Provide legal advice to Operations and Human Resources on employment matters, including leave and accommodation matters as assigned.
- Assist Integrated Leave team on special projects as assigned.
· Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
· Admission in good standing to practice law in at least one U.S. state and eligible to practice as in-house counsel in the State of Washington.
· Deep knowledge and understanding of the FMLA and similar state laws (including all California, Oregon, and Washington leave laws, and statepregnancy leave and accommodation laws), and the ADA and similar state laws. Candidate must be well versed in applicable statutes, regulations, agency opinions, and case law, and regarding the interplay between all such laws.
· Minimum of 8 years of relevant law firm and/or in-house experience, including extensive and current experience advising on FMLA, ADA, and related state leave and accommodation compliance issues.
· Ability to quickly come up to speed on Company’s unique policies and processes relating to employee leaves and accommodation
· Positive attitude
· Excellent written and oral communications skills, appropriate for lawyers, management, HR, and vendors, including the ability to clearly explain leave and accommodation determinations, rules, and procedures to individuals without a legal background.
· Excellent technical writing skills appropriate for employee correspondence and legal memoranda
· High attention to detail
· Exceptional analytical skills
· Flexibility to adapt to rapidly changing priorities
· Sound and practical judgment
· Ability to engage in creative problem solving, and to weigh business needs against potential legal risks
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and partner effectively in a team environment
· Ability to successfully work with vendors and effectively use vendor on-line platforms
· Regular, reliable attendance at the Company corporate office
· Management will review the Job Analysis for this position prior to a job offer.
· Final candidates will be required to demonstrate skills as part of the interview process.
At Costco, you will build a long-lasting career in a renowned culture where the Company is committed to taking care of its employees, members, and suppliers. You will be empowered to independently drive results and feel good about what you are helping to build. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Kelly Barber at firstname.lastname@example.org.