Immigration staff attorney
The West African Community Council (WACC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit in the Seattle area dedicated to advocating, organizing, assisting, educating, and supporting West African community members while preserving our tradition, culture, social, religious, and moral beliefs.
The Immigration Program of the West African Community Council supports the community by offering free or low cost legal representation in all forms of immigration proceedings including removal defense before the Executive Office of Immigration Review and assistance with affirmative applications before US Citizenship and Immigration Services.
The West African Community Council seeks an IMMIGRATION STAFF ATTORNEY to join our program.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities of the Staff Attorney will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Work collaboratively with the Executive Director, Managing Attorney, BIA Accredited Representative, and consultants as part of the immigration team;
2. Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of immigration laws and procedures;
3. Conduct screenings, legal intakes, and client interviews;
4. Provide direct representation to individual clients in removal proceedings before EOIR;
5. Provide direct representation to individual clients before USCIS;
6. Maintain accurate case files and notes as well as data entry and record-keeping for contract compliance;
7. Participate in meetings on behalf of our program in meetings with King County and the Seattle Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs;
8. Participate in outreach and community education;
9. Provide support to other staff members as needed, both within and outside of the unit and collaborate with WACC management and staff to support WACC’s mission;
10. Perform general office duties, as needed; and
11. Participate in other conferences, meetings, and trainings as needed.
Successful applicants should possess the following attributes and competences:
1. Admission to the Washington State or other US jurisdiction bar;
2. Experience in working with immigrant populations and US immigration law;
3. Fluency in French or other languages spoken in West Africa (preferred).
Salary range is 59k to 64k, commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please submit (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter expressing your interest and relevant experiences, and (3) two professional references to Steven Denton at firstname.lastname@example.org the email subject “IMMIGRATION STAFF ATTORNEY APPLICATION”.
The West African Community Council is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are encouraged to apply regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or record of arrest or conviction. We encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBT community and other minority groups.