Health Privacy and Technology Senior Attorney
About Stoel Rives and the Health Care Group
Recognized as one of the premier health care practices in the Pacific Northwest, we serve as trusted advisors and help develop solutions that enable our health care clients to manage current changes and position themselves for success in the coming years.
If you are interested in working with a group of collaborative, hard-working, and dedicated lawyers and staff, this is the place for you.
Stoel Rives LLP seeks an experienced attorney to join the Health Care Group in its Portland or Seattle office. Candidates must have at least 5 years’ experience working with clients in the health care industry on matters involving HIPAA and other health information privacy and security regulations, as well as federal antikickback and Stark regulations.
Skills Needed to Be Effective in This Role
We pride ourselves in forming diverse teams with a wide array of interpersonal and professional attributes. We don’t expect one human to embody all of these skills, but if you have many of these skills, and are enthusiastic to learn, we encourage you to apply.
- Experience assisting clients with digital health or mHealth solutions and proficient advising clients on development and revision of privacy and security policies and procedures;
- Negotiation of business associate agreements, data use agreements, and data transfer agreements; conducting HIPAA risk analysis; data incident response and breach notification (including risk assessments); and licensing of electronic health records.
- Familiarity with other state and federal security requirements a plus (e.g., 42 CFR Part 2).
- Privacy or information security certification (e.g., CIPP/US, CISSP, CHISSP) preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with advising hospitals and health systems, physicians and physician organizations, behavioral health providers, pharmacies, managed care companies, federally qualified health centers, medical device manufacturers and distributors, and a variety of health care industry vendors.
- Strong intellectual curiosity and desire to understand how a project serves clients goals;
- A commitment to client service and team success;
- JD from an accredited university; and
- Membership in the Oregon or Washington State Bar strongly preferred.
What You Will Learn as Part of Our Team
Shortly after joining the team, you will have the opportunity to be involved in negotiation of business associate, data access/use, licensing, brokerage, and data processing agreements; research regarding state data privacy and disclosure laws and evaluation of uses and disclosures under HIPAA; evaluation and drafting of consent forms, notices of privacy practices, technology licensing; preparation of notices of privacy practices and other consumer, employee, and recruitment privacy notices; data incident/data breach response; risk or gap assessments; and/or government investigation responses.
A broader question you may have is, “How will this position enhance my legal skills and career trajectory?” At Stoel Rives, we offer a unique lateral integration program and core competency model that are designed to provide a roadmap of the practical skills, abilities, and client service techniques our lawyers need to succeed and progress at the firm. We also established a New Lawyer Integration Program that has deepened our relationships and connections with our new lawyers, while providing them with the mentoring, resources, and information necessary for success.
How You Will Live Life Well at Stoel Rives
At Stoel Rives, you will enjoy a robust benefits package that includes an inclusive parental leave policy, paid family medical leave, equivalent health benefits for LGBTQ+ employees’ spouses and partners, a generous employer health savings account contribution, telemedicine services, day care and medical expense flexible spending account, and employee assistance program. In 2017, we launched an extended leave support program for our lawyers who take family, medical, and other approved leaves. This program also aids with transitioning to and from leave.
We are also proud participants of the ABA Well-Being Pledge, strongly believing that the well-being of our employees is paramount to the success of the firm. In addition, the firm’s Culture Committee supports the firm’s mission, vision, and values in bringing together spectacular client service and job satisfaction.
What We Are Doing to Ensure A Diverse, Equitable, and Inclusive Environment
Stoel Rives places a high priority on attracting and retaining lawyers with different backgrounds and life experiences. This makes us better and happier as people, as an organization, and as legal advisers. We are proud to offer many engagement opportunities including a firmwide DE&I Committee, Associates Committee, Pro Bono Committee, Affinity Groups, and Parenting Circle.
We proudly partner with Diversity Lab to implement innovative programs to advance Stoel Rives’ DE&I goals, including the aggressive metrics-based goals we’ve adopted as one of five founding Move the Needle Fund firms. Our efforts with Diversity Lab include certification under the Mansfield Rule, to boost the representation of diverse lawyers in our firm’s leadership by broadening the pool of candidates considered for opportunities, along with participation in the OnRamp Fellowship for legal returners and the OnTrack Sponsorship program.