Fxd Moderate Means Supervising Attorney
Who We Are:
At Gonzaga we don’t just state our mission. We live it every day as a Catholic, Jesuit, and humanistic University. It is the reason we exist and the foundation for our purpose: educating students for lives of leadership and service. From students to faculty and staff members, everyone here knows what we stand for – and they know how valuable our mission is to the success of our institution.
Our competitive benefit packages are part of Gonzaga’s commitment to care for the whole person. Packages include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement, tuition benefits, and other University-provided benefits.
We also provide numerous resources which help bring balance to the complexities of work and personal life through our work/life and wellness programs.
This position is responsible for Gonzaga Law School’s participation in the statewide Moderate Means Program (MMP). MMP is a collaboration among Gonzaga University School of Law, Seattle University School of Law, the University of Washington School of Law, and the Washington State Bar Association (WSBA), designed to expand access to affordable legal representation to individuals who are ineligible for free legal services but unable to afford such services at prevailing market rates.
• Juris Doctor degree
• Must be licensed to practice law in Washington
• 5+ years experience as a practicing lawyer
• Demonstrated commitment to access to justice for members of traditionally unrepresented or underrepresented communities
• Understanding of law school culture and curricula, and knowledge of the range of public service legal work
• Expertise in at least one of the legal topics that have been identified as Moderate Means Program priorities (i.e., family law, consumer law, housing law) and working knowledge of the other areas such as public benefits and employment law
• Ability to supervise a diverse group of student participants (experience supervising students is a desirable qualification although not a requirement)
• Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse group of clients, student participants, faculty, and attorney
• Outstanding organizational skills
• Ability to serve as an effective public representative for the Law School and the WSBA Moderate Means Program
• Technical computer skills required to create and manage multiple complex data bases.
• Ability wo work varied hours as needed.
• Ability to travel by car and air as needed.
The ability to speak languages other than English is a desirable skill for this position and applicants are encouraged to include such information in their applications.
Gonzaga University is a Jesuit, Catholic, humanistic institution, and is therefore interested in candidates who will contribute to its distinctive mission. Gonzaga University is a committed EEO/AA employer and diversity candidates are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their disability status and/or protected veteran status.