Full-Time Commercial and Technology Transactions Attorney
Focal PLLC, a Seattle law firm, seeks a full-time attorney to assist the firm’s commercial and technology transactions and privacy/cybersecurity practices. Our clients include tech startups and industry disruptors, advertising and digital media companies, software and technology service providers, major league sports teams, and online retail, gaming and entertainment businesses. We are proud that Focal maintains a collaborative work environment with legal professionals who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
The ideal candidate will possess at least the following qualifications:
• At least four years of experience as a practicing attorney with a law firm or as in-house counsel
• Experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide variety of commercial and technology contracts, including licensing agreements, SaaS agreements, professional services agreements, distributor agreements, and confidentiality agreements
• Experience advising and counseling clients on issues relevant to e-commerce businesses, including privacy laws, risk assessments, advertising and marketing regulations, laws governing contests and promotions, and website terms and policies
• Experience with or a willingness to learn privacy and cybersecurity law (privacy or security certifications are a plus)
• Knowledge of trademark and copyright laws
• Strong legal research skills
• Ability to work independently by organizing and managing multiple projects, to prioritize your work, meet deadlines, and stay calm under pressure
• Ability to effectively and efficiently communicate both orally and in writing
• Ability to convey detailed, complex information to others accurately and succinctly
• Proficiency with basic technology tools, such as Slack and Google Docs, and a willingness to learn other tools
• Law degree from an ABA-accredited law school; admitted to Washington State Bar Association
Focal maintains an office in SoDo, but all attorneys and staff are currently working remotely due to the COVID19 pandemic. The ability to work primarily remotely will continue when restrictions are lifted. However, working at the office may be required from time-to-time. Attorneys seeking a better work-life balance are encouraged to apply.
Focal is a minority owned business. We place a high premium on diversity. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as defined by federal, state or local law.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and short (3-5 page) writing sample to