Assistant City Attorney II - Job Share
The purpose of this position is to prosecute misdemeanors and gross misdemeanors in District Court. Provide legal advice to city departments. Conduct legal research and staff specialty courts. This position is currently in our main office but is part of a rotation to the joint city-county Domestic Violence Prosecution Center.
This is a part-time (40 hrs every two weeks), regular, non-union, exempt position. This position is part of a job share and the anticipated work schedule would be 8:00am to 5:00pm on Wednesdays, Fridays, and every other Thursday.
2021 Part-time Salary Range: $4,503-$5,854 monthly, $54,036-$70,248 annually
- Represent the City by prosecuting various criminal offenses, municipal code violations and probation violations. Prepare pre-trial motions and jury instructions; prepare for and defend against motions to limit evidence or suppress evidence; initiate or respond to appeals, writs of review; write briefs and oral arguments; conduct plea bargain negotiations with defense attorneys and individual defendants.
- Coordinate investigation efforts and cultivation of partnerships with social service programs and law enforcement.
- Review reports and conduct legal research.
- Locate and interview witnesses.
- Act as internal counsel in advising City officials on the development and interpretation of municipal policy and actions related to the domestic violence unit, various legal specialties, and applicable areas as assigned.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Experience and Education
- Two (2) years of related experience previous prosecution.
- Equivalent to a Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Required Licenses and/or Certifications
- License and membership in good standing in the Washington State Bar Association.